Monday, September 6, 2010

Figure 56 From The Priscilla Irish Crochet Book 1







Well, whew! It's been quite a while since I posted anything here.
I've been working on a project out of the vintage book, Priscilla Irish Crochet Book 1. It's sure been an interesing journey. This piece is made up of smaller motifs which are crocheted separately and then finally joined together to make a lovely piece. My favorite part of the whole piece is the flower in the center. It's made up of three different motifs which are stacked and sewn together. I love the lacy flower in on the bottom layer.

This certainly has been a learning experience for me. I worked with padding cord (pc) a lot making these motifs. At first it was quite a challenge to get the right tension on the pc. If I pulled too tight the petals curled and if I didn't pull tight enough the stitches might look too spaced out. The padding cord is generally a heaver thread than the one you crochet with. The book called for size 70 working thread and size 10 padding cord, but I'm still learning so I used size 3 crochet thread for the padding cord and size 10 thread for the working thread. Of course, this made my finished product absolutely huge! LOL But that's ok. I don't mind. It was a good practice piece and I had a lot of fun learning how to make the various motifs.

I worked on the motifs every week while I was waiting for my husband's appointments at the clinic. It gave me something to do and helped pass the time. I love that crochet is so portable and easy to do just about anywhere. You just need a little ball of thread, a hook and you're good to go. :)
















2 comments:

  1. Still love it in this picture too. If you publish 100 pictures of it , I will comment on all of them. VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVerrrry big applause for you Barb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so sweet! Thank you very much for your comment. :)

    ReplyDelete