Monday, September 13, 2010

Fig. 31 From Priscilla Irish Crochet Book No. 2

I've finally finished another motif. It's Fig. 31 from the Priscilla Irish Crochet Book No. 2. I've really enjoyed making it. As with all of the motifs from the vintage books, it was a real learning experience. 

I was tired of making white motifs so I decided to make this motif with black for the leaves or 'ribs' as the book calls them, and a pretty, dark mauve for the flower. Of course, in the vintage book they are all white. 

I felt a little playful with this one so I decided to make the button in the flower black to match the ribs. Another thing I did with the button was to add an extra row. The original directions left you with a kind of tube which you were supposed to stuff with a little cotton and then sew down onto the flower. Instead, I added an extra row in which I decreased by skipping one sc on the previous row all the way around. So I did an sc then skipped the next stitch on the previous row and repeated this all the way around the row. This caused the tube to pull inward and fold under making the button double thickness so I didn't have to stuff it.

I didn't sew the flower down to the ribs because I'm not happy with them. I miscounted a few times and the ribs aren't even. I'll make another one eventually and do it right but right now I'm bored with this motif and I want to go on to something new.





3 comments:

  1. Very sweet motif, very sweet colors, very sweet work. really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lily, for your kind words. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, I totally agree with Lily..
    very nice..

    all the best, Christa

    ReplyDelete